This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to create or edit Contact Categories in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
Navigate to the Contact Category Manager. To add a new Contact Category, press the "New" icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Contact Category, click on the Category's Name or click the Category's checkbox and then click on the "Edit" icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a Contact Category or edit an existing Contact Category. Contact Categories allow you to organize contacts in your web site. Contact Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and so on.
Details and Options
In this section, you can enter information about the Contact Category, such as name, alias, description, and so on.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Access. Who can view this item. You can change an item's Access in its edit screen. See User Access Levels for more information.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Description. Description of this category, which can optionally be displayed in the front-end.
- Created by. Shows the user that created the item. Click the 'Select User' button to change the value.
- Alternative Layout. Specify a different layout than the one supplied by the component view or template overrides.
- Image. Choose an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- Meta Description. Optional text entered here will be added to the page's HTML output and may be displayed in search engine results.
- Meta Keywords. Optional comma-separated list that will be added to the HTML keywords output.
- Author. The author of this content.
- Robots. This will be added to the page's HTML output. Options are: Use Global, Index-Follow, No index-Follow, Index-No follow, No index-No follow, and Don't display robots tag.
This section is where you can view and edit permissions for items that are part of this Contact Category.
The tree on the left represents the user groups that have been defined for your Joomla! site, while the right part displays permissions for the currently selected group, and lets you edit those permissions:
- Action. The various actions for which you can specify permissions for the currently selected user group. Possible actions are:
- Create. Grants users the right to create new objects (for example: users, menu items, articles, weblinks, and so on).
- Delete. Grants users the right to delete existing objects.
- Edit. Grants users the right to edit existing objects.
- Edit State. Grants users the right to change existing objects state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, Check In and Trash).
- Edit Own. Grants users the right to edit objects that they created themselves.
- Select New Setting. The permission you want to apply for a given action. If you select a new setting, click Save to refresh the Calculated Setting column. Choices are:
- Inherited. Permissions from the parent category will be used if there is a parent category or those from the component if there is no parent category.
- Allowed. The group being edited will be able to take this action within this category (but if this is in conflict with the parent category setting or the component setting it will have no impact; a conflict will be indicated by Not Allowed (Locked) under Calculated Setting).
- Denied. The group being edited cannot take this action within this category.
- Calculated Setting. The effective permissions for the selected group in the category being edited.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the edit screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the edit screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Cancel. Returns to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Cancel while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Page retrieved: 0.195 seconds, 1.60 MB